February 6, 2016

American Girl Doll: Tiered Ruffle Skirt

Well, I am in full-on obsessive steampunk mode now, folks. What does that mean? Apparently it means that Lara's AG doll is also getting an outfit, though I'm not sure she will actually come with us to the festivities.

At the same time, making things for a doll is a great way to work out full scale ideas in a model time frame. For instance, inspired by this kind of thing, I'd like to make Lara a flouncy tiered skirt for her costume. I've definitely never made one before, so I thought an 18 inch experiment would be better than a full-scale disaster.

But no disaster occurred! Look:



The fabric was a set of thrifted curtains. I'm not sure what the fabric is - some kind of rayon, I'm guessing. It's very soft and smooth, with a very slight sheen and some decorative swirly wrinkling. I basically walked around the home goods section of the fantabulous Value Village feeling around until I discovered something that wouldn't be itchy and irritating to wear. I ended up with about 4 yards of this in a 54" width for $6, which I know beats fabric stores prices any day.



Here is a schematic and the measurement math I used for the tiers and the ruffles. I may adjust the ratios slightly as I go to full size skirt, but this turned out great, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Embark on a multidimensional journey with fortytworoads where diverse paths converge into a singular exploration. This platform is a meeting point for those seeking varied experiences and diverse perspectives. Beyond the crossroads of choices, fortytworoads is unveiling premier car delivery services. Envision a seamless integration of versatile expeditions and the logistical excellence of a trusted car delivery service, where the same commitment to diverse journeys now extends to ensuring the secure and efficient transport of vehicles. With fortytworoads the concept of car delivery services becomes a journey through diverse landscapes, promising not only the safe passage of vehicles but also an experience as multifaceted and exceptional as the myriad roads converging within this exploratory hub.